Monday, April 1, 2019

Upcycled Art: Daffodil Postcard


I have been disheartened to read recent news about the end of recycling in the United States.  Found objects and recycled materials have always inspired me to create out of a desire to use up what would normally be trash.  The fact that an item is going to the landfill frees up my creativity -- even if I make terrible art, nothing has been lost.

Lately, I have stepped up my creative efforts in recycling packaging into useful items.  Sometimes, when I turn towards the trash with an empty box or other food packaging, I feel the tingle of inspiration.  That was the case with this recycled cardboard cucumber tray:


The neutral color, the rough texture (like cold pressed watercolor paper), and the stiff, sturdiness of the cardboard compelled me to cut out a 4" x 6" rectangle from the tray, create a spring scene with daffodils blooming, and turn it into a postcard to send to my dear friend, Robin.




So simple, yet the colors reach out to me.  I used my new box of Prismacolor Art Stix.  (Thanks Brad!)



Happy Spring and Happy Upcycling to you!  For more ideas on how to turn trash into art, visit the Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse's website.



No comments:

Post a Comment