Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Learning to Play with my Nature Journal

I've been watching John Muir Laws' YouTube channel lately and feeling inspired by his videos.  I have to admit, I resisted some of his advice, like Don't try to make pretty pictures.  Use your journal to explore, make discoveries and ask questions.  I thought, "But I want to make pretty pictures!"

This morning, I tried a value study of the view out of my window.  My goal was merely to try a new technique -- using a black Aquarelle pencil to draw a simplified landscape.   I can now see John's wisdom.  When you focus on "This must be beautiful!" you hamper your own creativity, trying to force an outcome.  When you approach the journal with the attitude of curiosity and exploration, you free yourself up to make discoveries and to reach a flow state. No expectations = maximum freedom and creativity.  Try it!

I sketched this with a Stabilo Aquarelle pencil, then used a waterbrush.


No comments:

Post a Comment