Sunday, August 2, 2020

Nature Journal Update: Hiking the Late Summer Woods

Since April, David & I have hiked over 400 miles through Raccoon Creek State Park --I've logged each mile. On many of those treks, I had a nature journal tucked under my arm.  I'm ever amazed at how keeping a nature journal ties you to the land.  You see subtle changes, what's in bloom -- now Joe Pye Weed and goldenrod take the fore, as Bergamot and Bee Balm fade.  You notice how the oak leaves have become pock-marked with insect damage and how the Wild Turkey young have grown almost as big as their parents, and have smooth plumage.  

Lately, I guess every bird must be molting for the fall as I find gorgeous Wild Turkey, hawk and owl feathers on the trail.  Can't help but scoop them up and try to capture their essence on paper.  Pretty soon it will be acorns and colorful autumn leaves.  Sketching what's going on right now, following the seasons, has it's own calming effect.  The wheel of the year rolls on regardless of what is going on in human realms, and its consistency is a balm to my soul.






No comments:

Post a Comment