Monday, October 12, 2020

An Autumn Canoe Trip

 Sunday's weather inspired an art exploration into Raccoon Creek State Park by canoe.  I packed my nature journal and some paints, and David and I set out to capture the Autumn colors.


As David paddled, I created quick gesture paintings, that I added pen & ink touches to later.


We ventured up the stream that fills the lake, where a beech tree leaning over the water caught my eye.  Behind it was a massive Hemlock tree, and a steep, rocky cliff, creating heavy shadows.
 

Beyond, and around a bend, past a bank beaver's lodge, we found a sand bar, where I sat and painted brilliant Spicebush leaves.







There's nothing like the feeling of being lost in the process of painting nature.  All cares disappear and you are left with just the connection to nature.



Thanks to David for the photos!




2 comments:

  1. Your painting of the beech tree with the hemlock in the background places the viewer in those moments in time when you were there recording your experience on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing that! I'm glad I can carry others along with me on my outdoor art rovings.

    ReplyDelete