Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Color Wheel Magic!

I'm seeking vibrant, eye-catching color combinations, and more harmonious colors.  In short, I want to learn how to use color magic in my art.

I considered buying a color wheel.  Plenty of inexpensive color wheels are available, and the ones I like best provide an overlay to point out complementary colors, split complements, triads and tetrads. Each of these combinations creates a different effect. And the beauty of using color wheel magic is that once you decide on what type of combination you want to use, you can easily pick the colors you will use instead of scratching your head at each step.

I found a tutorial online that leads you through the process of creating your own color wheel, and decided to go for the color-mixing adventure! https://onlineartlessons.com/tutorial/split-primary-color-wheel/

I downloaded the template, traced it onto illustration board, and got to work mixing paints. And mixing paints.  And mixing, mixing, mixing ...

But as I mixed paints, I started to see relationships.  To dull a bright color down or create a shadow, the tutorial instructed me to mix the opposite color on the wheel, the complement. I also noticed a lot of flesh tones appearing as the color wheel filled out.

I created all of these colors with only 6 primary colors -- a warm and a cool each of blue, red and yellow - plus white. I used my Schmincke Horadam Aquarelle Watercolors.

  • Cool Yellow = Lemon Yellow (215)
  • Warm Yellow = Cadmium Yellow Light (224)
  • Cool Red = Permanent Carmine (353)
  • Warm Red = Cadmium Red Light (349)
  • Cool Blue = Prussian Blue (492)
  • Warm Blue = Ultramarine Finest (494)
I created an overlay out of a plastic page protector, marking the relationships that fascinated me -- complementary colors, split complementary colors, triads and tetrads. I can turn the overlay wheel to find the relationships between some of my favorite colors. 

Complementary colors (bold, solid line) -- or those across the color wheel from each other, like blue & orange  -- contrast brightly and make an artwork "pop."

Analogous colors -- those next to each other, like purple, blue and green -- create a more relaxing, harmonious effect.

Triads (solid line triangle) -- three colors equally spaced apart on the wheel, like red, blue and yellow to create a vibrant effect. It's important to let one of the colors dominate the image or the composition can appear "busy."

Split Complementary Colors (dotted lines) -- are a base color and the two colors on either side of its complement. For instance, blue-green as a base color, and orange and rose pink as split complements.

Tetrads (dashed lines) -- Four colors that are equally distant on the color wheel, also called double complements, that create rich compositions. It's important to allow one color to lead as in triads.

The trio of colors -- purple, green and my orangish flesh tone -- form a split complement.


The journal page on the left demonstrates the vibrant triad of red, blue and yellow. 

I look at the world and see colors and their magical relationships now. Inspired by my color wheel studies, I understand why blooming daffodils feel harmonious (the yellow blooms and green leaves are next to each other on the color wheel).  I understand why favorite color combinations like yellow, green, magenta & purple look so bright and appealing to me -- they're a tetrad.  I've started carrying my color wheel around with me like a slide rule.

I recommend creating your own color wheel. You'll see color in a whole new way!





No comments:

Post a Comment