Wednesday, April 21, 2021

First Pages of a New Nature Journal

Sunday morning dawned frosty and cold, and I thought of the backpackers I knew were out at Raccoon Creek State Park.  David & I had hiked out to see friends who were camping there on Saturday night, and were amazed at the number of folks setting up for the night.  

We visited with our friends around the cozy campfire until sunset.  Hiking the 2.5 miles back to our truck, David & I had been chilly, and had picked up our pace to warm up.  A cold night to spend outdoors, but our friends are adventurers!

Sunday morning, as the sun melted the frost away, the temperatures rose, and I took my travel chair out to admire a favorite old apple tree.  Our kids named this particular tree the Anna Apple Tree for David's Mom who praised the flavor of its apples on a visit. 
I sketched a branch of blossoms -- just one part of an enormous tree just buzzing with honeybees.
My neighbor's dog had been barking at me on and off as I sketched.  It kept me from falling into a flow state where I could let the bluebirds' songs sink into my soul. So, I moved over the top of  Hawk's Hill to the south side, where I had noticed an abundance of violets and wanted to capture their fresh faces in my journal.  

I had just settled into my chair and started drawing when I heard the galloping of small feet behind me, and turned to see my kitty, Miss Boo. She looked delighted to have found me out sketching, and sidled up next to me for some cuddles.
After getting her chin & back scratched and making me feel loved, Boodles slipped off through the grass to explore.

Wishing you a springtime full of sketching moments to follow the contours of a favorite furry friend or facet of nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment