Monday, October 24, 2022

Watercolor Lessons with Yelena Lamm


In my most recent lesson with Yelena Lamm, we worked on a small subject-- a simple yellow rose.  Using a photograph for reference, or really as a starting point, we briefly sketched out our composition, then began with the bold yellow tones of the flower, adding layers of orange, and letting that dry before painting in the green sepals & stem.  

Yelena talked about controlling our edges -- allowing some to dry into crisp lines, but keeping most of them soft.  Even edges that I would think of as defined, like the ends of the yellow petals at the top right of the flower, worked as loose, watery borders.  Now when I paint, I think about edges -- about carefully softening the boundaries of each wash, and allowing only a few to dry hard.  It's easier to work seamlessly into a dried wash with a soft edge than to deal with layer upon layer of hard-bordered washes.

A light has turned on inside my head, and I feel grateful to go forward with this new knowledge.  

I hope you get a chance to take a class this autumn.  It can open new pathways for creative expression and thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment