Saturday, December 10, 2022

Still Life Watercolor with a Ball Jar

The best subject to draw or paint is one you find fascinating and beautiful.  I use this Ball jar in my studio to hold water for my brushes, and I use it because I find it beautiful.

I wanted to practice painting its transparent, glassy, colorful form.  I began with a light pencil sketch, and laid in wet-in-wet washes of a variety of blues:  Prussian, Pthalo, and Cerulean. 

 I added in the cast shadow, and after the watercolor had dried, I added linework details with Faber Castell permanent black pens, and a Uniball white pen.

The final result was that I got to spend some time exploring watercolors and the way light passed through this gorgeous old jar.  I was pleased with the painting, but mostly, I was grateful for the time I got to spend creating with no other purpose in mind.
I find this sort of project to be healing and restorative after a busy day at work.  Peace resides in my art studio, and it feels grounding and like prayer to sit still and play with my art supplies.

I hope you spend some time playing with your art supplies soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment