Friday, July 5, 2024

The White Pass & Yukon Scenic Railway

The second port on our Alaskan cruise was Skagway, home to the historic White Pass & Yukon Scenic Railway.  In 1897-98, the railway carried prospectors to the Yukon. 

Nowadays it carries tourists up 3,000 feet to White Pass, then loops back and returns to the cruise ship dock.  After leaving the Skagway town limits, the conductor allows riders to step out into the fresh air on the platform in the front or the back of the train car and take photos.

Our journey on this historic train ride was memorable.  The scenery was stunning.  We took loads of photos, and afterwards, I picked this photo to paint from.  Sketching and painting brought back to me how cold and clear the air was, how bright the sun was, and how many times I was awed by the view.

I began with a pencil sketch, then inked my pencil lines in with my Lamy Joy fountain pen.
I added watercolors from my Winsor & Newton travel kit. 
Phthalo blue mixed with burnt Sienna created the dark pine green of the hemlocks and spruces.
Here's the finished piece.

I love how painting or sketching a scene locks in the memory of the day, the place, the event.  When I look at this, I recall how breathtaking the views were around every turn, and the black bear that lumbered alongside our train for a short distance like a dog.


What scenes from your life would you like to keep in your memory?  I hope you sketch or paint them.

Happy Creating!


Copyright Betsy Bangley 2024.  All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous painting, Betsy. The watercolor sketchbook you so carefully vetted before your trip looks like it didn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete