Saturday, February 22, 2020

Paint Yourself Calm

I found a fabulous book of inspiration at the library recently, entitled Paint Yourself Calm by Jean Haines (Search Press, 2016).  In the book, she tells her own story of how painting has been a calming influence in her life.  And, she walks the reader through a variety of painting projects designed to help you relax.

Her watercolor activities are easy, take little time and no previous experience, and give you the chance to simply play with your art supplies. Yesterday, I tried the activity entitled "Simple Landscapes." When my landscape was dry, I propped my it up in my kitchen where I could see it as I passed by.  The colors caught my eye, and I could imagine the place I painted -- a quiet, sunny, natural space thriving with birds, blooming flowers & a lush distant woodland.  Just what I desire this time of year.




I particularly enjoyed Jean's outlook on the importance of finding time for your art.  She writes:
"It was only when I made the conscious decision to treat painting like eating, as part of my daily routine, that my life and art career changed. More importantly, the happy calm state I am in when painting helps me deal with other issues far more easily."

No comments:

Post a Comment