Sunday, September 5, 2021

The Fountain Project

I have wanted a fountain in my yard for the longest time.  Having admired the elegant WPA-era fountains in public parks and gardens, I've always imagined one in my yard but never quite put the resources toward my vision until this summer.

I began bringing my imagination to life by creating my own "FrankenFountain" out of buckets, pots and quart canning jars.

Great for creating a vision, but I wanted something more refined.  I searched online and found the one that suited me. When it arrived on Friday morning, I was ready with a location prepared with a level sand base for it to rest on. 

But I wasn't prepared for the feelings that came after my husband David and I finished assembling the kit, filled the basin with water and powered it up.  


I expected to be charmed and delighted by the beauty of this new garden feature, but I was mesmerized by the flowing water.  

The fountain married with the stones and sand conjured images of early civilizations that demonstrated their organization by providing a public square with a fountain.  I could envision early Romans in togas assembling alongside me as I stood enchanted by the musical water.

Simple running water represents the best in human civilization -- unity & cohesiveness that allow members to work together to improve everyday life for the people. What a surprising balm after daily news of division and rancor between humans.

I realized that the fountain wasn't just a beautiful addition to my garden, but a gift of self care.  And I felt it fitting to bring out my art journal and watercolors and paint it.



Wishing you a Labor Day weekend filled with self care, positive energy and light. 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this healing message and your art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete