Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Nature Journal Update for August

 August found me all over the map, but I took my nature journal along for my travels and captured quick sketches along the way.  

Here's a walk through the pages of my journal, starting with the clouds out my father's study window:

And some lovely woods on a day trip with David:
Back at home, sitting in my backyard garden with my kitty, Miss Boo, admiring the blooming marigolds and a curvy Tromboncino squash growing on a trellis in my yard.

Imagine burying your face in the soft, sweet petals of a flower and nodding off to sleep!  For the bumblebee, it has nectar awaiting it for breakfast when it awakes.  Even bumblebees practice self care!
Butterflies & a stone wall in Raccoon Creek State Park's Doak Field:

The Tromboncino Zucchini plants in my garden have been growing lush on the recent rains:

And just yesterday, David and I went on a 5-mile hike & later a canoe ride at Raccoon Creek State Park.  The mosquitoes were biting, so we kept our water break short.  But, I managed to sketch this fabulous mushroom.
Our afternoon canoe paddle was interrupted by a brief thunderstorm.  We paddled over to the dock at the beach and tied up our canoe, spending the rainstorm under the cover of one of the buildings.  
The quickest of gesture drawings captures the memory of that hot summer afternoon on the lake.  I can return to the heat of August any time of year just by flipping through the pages of my journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment