Monday, October 4, 2021

Nature Journal Update: Pencil Drawing at the Park

Pencil & paper: the simplest materials an artist can take on a Sketch-podition (Our family term for an art expedition).  In this case, I took my 8.5" x 11" hard bound nature journal, a mechanical drawing pencil with an HB lead, and a vinyl eraser. 

I find that I often take far too much out with me in nature, cramming a backpack full of paints, brushes, colored pencils, pens, papers and assorted extras, when in the end, I use a few favorite supplies. Lugging all that weight and all of those expectations is a burden, and it's freeing to minimize.  Now the focus can be on the experience.

In the case above, I sat among my Tromboncino Zucchini plants, and sketched the beautifully shaped squashes growing on the vines.

The tiniest things, like the beetle and leaves below, are wonderful places to focus your attention.  I love to settle into the landscape by slowly drawing a curled leaf on the ground.  As if by magic, I begin to feel more grounded and connected to the earth around me.

Hoping you find time today to grab a pencil and paper and slow down with a sketch or two!



No comments:

Post a Comment