Friday, November 12, 2021

Nature Journal Update: Watercolor Sketching in Autumn

A warm November afternoon with the sun shining through the autumn leaves inspired me to grab my nature journal & watercolors and capture the scene with a sketch.  

Watercolor sketching, or simply painting without laying in a drawing first, is a great way to create a quick image of what you see -- like a gesture drawing.  You can react to the landscape in the moment and make a record of your experience in your nature journal.

I often find when I'm tired after a too-busy schedule that sitting still with my art supplies out in nature calms and centers me.  Tracing the wobbly sassafras limbs against brilliant foliage, washing in loose tree canopy shapes, I come away feeling more rested.  Focusing purely on exploring what I see in nature internalizes the peacefulness of nature.

I hope you get a chance to sit and create in nature soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment