Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Osher Figure Drawing Class with Kathryn & David

In our final class of the Osher autumn term, we were fortunate to have two skilled models working together.  Kathryn & David created beautiful 5-minute gesture poses to get us warmed up.  

I had told my students to follow their intuition in selecting a medium to use in this class, and I chose charcoal for the gestures and pastel for the long pose.

Kathryn & David used the gesture poses for expressive storytelling, and I invited my students to focus on the negative space between & around David & Kathryn to help simplify the complex shapes.  

I really enjoyed this approach; instead of seeing their two figures as independent structures, I could look at them as a whole composition and capture the flow and energy of the pose.

For the long pose, I used colored pastel paper (Canson Mi Teintes), and took a colorists approach, selecting a different color for each value in the composition.   After the isolation of the pandemic, I am drawn to using vibrant colors to express the vitality of the models I draw and my joy in being together in person.
Many thanks to Kathryn & David for their inspiration in this class, and their work throughout the pandemic to make our Osher classes an oasis in a time of isolation and difficulty.  Your creativity and hard work uplifted many artists.
Bravo!



No comments:

Post a Comment