Friday, July 15, 2022

Pet Portraits in Colored Pencil: First Class

 

Tuesday night, we had our first session of "Pet Portraits in Colored Pencil" at the Community College of Beaver County.  The participants brought photos of their pets -- all cats in this case -- and we played with techniques for rendering our furry friends in color.  

My primary aim was to get everyone playing with their art materials, because we create our best work when we can take on the spirit of exploration and adventure.  We can listen to the tiny voice of our intuition, and make discoveries!

We explored gesture drawings to find the structure of our cat's form, and we played with colors -- complementary and analogous.

When I mentioned my colorist bent, and showed the power of adding unexpected colors, several folks took on the adventure of rendering their cats in vibrant hues.  It was a collaboration of the best sort, and everyone came away with a beautiful, expressive drawing of their cat.

The drawings above are my demonstration pieces. I drew from a photo my friend Brad Silberberg took of his cat, Sedona, Arizona.  You can see the reference photo here.

No comments:

Post a Comment