Thursday, October 12, 2023

Playing with India Ink

A new bottle of India ink and a stack of watercolor paper invited an afternoon of playing with shapes, brush strokes and drawing implements.

Each tool creates a different mark, and by experimenting with a variety of different strokes and expressions, I made discoveries.

After my first round of paintings dried, I looked them over and noticed that I liked:  
  • Bold, thick lines next to fine, scratchy marks, 
  • Graffiti-ish strokes combined with dots, slashes & fine marks, and 
  • Repeated slash marks done quickly & with energy.
I noticed that I didn't like marks that looked too carefully thought out or representational (trying to look like something in reality).

My favorite pieces were wild, messy & free.
I took my top picks and reduced them in size on a copying machine, then combined them with other elements, like this handmade paper from yucca plants.
I've always been a fan of bold contrasts next to earthy midtones.

What type of marks do you like to make?
I encourage you to experiment with whatever you have on hand -- a ballpoint pen, pencil or a bottle of ink and a brush.
Then take notes on what you liked making, and which artworks you like the most afterwards.
The more you experiment, the more you discover.  The more you know about what you like, the more satisfied you will be in your artmaking.

Happy Mark Making!

Copyright 2023 Betsy Bangley, Betsy's Bliss Art Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment