Friday, February 23, 2024

Nature Journaling: Welcome Spring!

Today marked the return of Red-Winged Blackbirds to my corner of Pennsylvania.  I'll always be grateful for the burry, brash call of the male Red-winged Blackbird as they lift my spirits at the end of winter when I'm ready for any sign of spring.
The males migrate north to us ahead of the females, and set up breeding territories.  On cold, rainy days like today, I least expect them, and am always surprised in the most pleasant way.  

A small flock descended from the gray sky to perch in a little mulberry tree that stands next to my birdfeeders.  They brightened my day on this rainy, mizzly day.

After I had finished my admin. chores for the day, I rewarded myself with this sketch, made from a  reference photo.

What's your favorite bird?  

A great way to celebrate your wild friend is to find a photo in a book or online to use as a reference, and make a sketch.  Then write about a memorable encounter. 

Happy creating!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment