Sunday, February 11, 2024

Travel Journal: Florida

I escaped to Florida this winter, and took my travel journal and a small art kit along with me.
A vacation is a great time to play with your art supplies!
You can record the little details of your trip, and later you'll have a memory book to look back on.

I used a sketchbook I had taken on a previous trip to Florida.  You can see that entry here.
I began with rough sketches of the waterbirds
Each sketch you make helps you to see your subject -- here a shorebird -- better and to draw it more accurately.
We encountered Magnificent Frigatebirds on our trip.  Amazing masters of riding air currents, they remain aloft for days and months at a time.  You can see how taken I was by these massive birds -- I made a lot of sketches of them!
The dune grasses bent by the ocean breezes created lovely shapes and graceful curves.
Peering over the crest of the dune, I found a wild sunflower blooming -- in January!
The ocean carries a variety of interesting flotsam and jetsam, to the beach.  This coconut and seaweed sprig washed up on the shore.  
The first few days of our trip were overcast and windy, and you can see the gray sky in this watercolor sketch.
Sometimes, the tiniest things tell the story of the beauty of the beach.
This beach was decked with a variety of intricate seashells and driftwood. 

Are you planning any travel?  I hope you take along a journal and a few art supplies!
Happy creating! 




Copyright Betsy Bangley 2024. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment