A couple of chilly days and the way my big Sugar Maple tree is beginning to change colors gave me the first blush of viscerally knowing winter's coming. In winter, I miss being able to walk freely around in nature and sketch without my fingers numbing.
I decided to work in my art journal to express these feelings through art. That's the beauty of art journaling -- you can let things out onto the page, perhaps make discoveries about your thoughts and feelings, and then move on.
I created a page spread for my board book art journal with Black Walnut ink, India ink and touches of white acrylic ink, reminding myself that winter has beauty, too. I worked on a package insert with information in a variety of languages. You can see other art on this paper in this blog post.
Sometimes as you create freely, a symbol or word will rise up. For me, it was a heart with a + inside that showed up in an accordion fold insert. I find the more quickly I create, the less I overthink and the better I like the result. I wrote what spilled out -- advice to my future self.
I glued the insert down to the edge of the page.
Here's the finished result.
I'm still not looking forward to winter, but I have put my feelings into my art, and I've chosen to try to live in the moment and relish autumn's beauty.
What have you been thinking about lately? Is there an anxious thought working on you that might find release in an art journal? It's worth a try. The only cost is time and a few art supplies.





No comments:
Post a Comment