I was cleaning up our paper recycling box and found a stack of product safety inserts on thin paper with tiny print warnings in dozens of different languages. I love working on paper with text, especially in a foreign language. So I pulled the pages out to create on.
I grabbed my inks: India ink & Black Walnut ink, as well as a white wax crayon & a black grease pencil.
In the page above, I drew with the white crayon and the black grease pencil before painting with ink. The crayon resisted the wet inks layered on top, leaving white marks shining through. I finished the page with the walnut & India inks.
It was fun to paint using the chocolate-colored walnut ink I made years ago. (You can see that post here.)
After the walnut ink dried, I layered on rich, black India ink.
I created a tiny artwork to fit inside the envelope pocket. The little circles were inspired by a photo on a package of frozen peas we'd had for dinner the night before.
You can get your inspiration from the most mundane sources!
I think I've always had an affinity towards upcycling papers and other materials into art.
It can help to discover what sorts of materials, art supplies, colors and marks make you feel at ease, invigorated or playful. Pay attention to what makes you feel most excited about making art, and follow that trail your intuition leads you on.

.jpg)







No comments:
Post a Comment