Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Art for Self-Care: Nature Sketching


A constant in my life over the last few years has been hiking with David. Our routine hike takes us down 5 miles of trails through woods, past meadows and over streams to a backpackers' camping area in our local state park.  At first, we hiked for fitness, and to be together.  

When the lockdown began, I started tucking my nature journal under my arm on our walks, and sketching when we stopped for water breaks.  While I immersed myself in drawing a May Apple or a wobbly cherry tree, David would read the news on his phone, finding it less stressful to digest the news out in nature.

I filled one nature journal, and started another by in mid-summer.  Having hiked 730 miles since April, I continue to add sketches on each hike.  It helps to have this routine in my life, & to create and connect with nature.









No comments:

Post a Comment