Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Creating Nature Art When It's too Cold to Go Outside

The morning after the first big winter snowfall, I hiked around my farm snapping reference photos for painting and drawing projects.  Within days, I found I needed a snowy scene for my annual pen & ink calendar, and put this snowy Hemlock tree to use for the December 2021 page. 



A dear friend an talented wildlife photographer also shares his library of images with me.  I used his photos as references for the swan & the rose hips.

I select the images I want to include in my calendar page, then make a pencil sketch from the photo, and add the quotes.  I use the pencil version of the page to create the finished pen & ink work, laying a sheet of pen & ink paper over the pencil sketch on a light box. If I make a mistake, no problem -- I still have the pencil original and can start over.

It's not the same as being outdoors with the Hemlock tree in person, but as I draw, I still connect with the tree, the snowy day, and the healing power of nature -- without getting frostbite. 

And now I have a nature calendar to give family & friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment