Friday, December 4, 2020

Kathryn in Blue

 

I often hear my students say of their drawings that they're "not good enough." Or, they'll compare their work to another's, saying that their own is "not as good" as a classmates drawing.  I understand that feeling.  I often "hear" the voice of what I call the "Nattering Nabob of Negativity" sitting on my shoulder telling me I'm doing it wrong as I create.  Not useful, but a common human experience.

As a result of that critical voice, when I step back from my work, I often think I've done a poor job at trying to represent our model.  But, the next day, I take a second look at my work, and find that I can look with a less judgmental eye and see the beauty of what I've created.  When I'm drawing the figure, I've learned not to listen to that negative voice, and to just keep drawing, keeping my eye on our model as much as possible, and keeping a positive attitude.

Today, after creating the drawing above, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I could see that I had gotten Kathryn's head too large, and I could see a departure from my usual realistic representation. I decided that instead of illogically disliking everything I turn out, I am going to arbitrarily like everything I turn out -- My opinions are all subjective anyway, and at least that way, I can see the successful aspects of my drawings more readily.  Why not?

I think the Nattering Nabob of Negativity makes us think that disliking our work represents a more cultured or humble outlook, or that of a serious art student striving to improve.  Putting anyone down doesn't seem encouraging to me.  Putting myself down least of all.  So here's to self-encouragement! May we all practice it as we create.

Because of the uptick in Covid-19 cases, models now join our Zoom class virtually like everyone else.  It's harder for everyone -- Kathryn had to construct a studio in her basement, with lights and curtains. Much more technical complication than when she models in person.

Though I always draw from a computer monitor, even when the model is in my studio (I want to draw the same image as my students), this time, the image coming back seemed cooler and bluer in tone. So, I reached for cooler colors than I usually do when drawing Kathryn, creating Kathryn in Blue.

In spite of all the challenges, Kathryn picked up her hula hoop and brought us some beautiful poses.  Here are her 3-minute gestures:









No comments:

Post a Comment