Monday, January 4, 2021

Art for Self-Care: Slow Walking in Nature


The weather had been rainy & cold all day, and as sunset neared, I took a half hour to walk the field around my house with my cat and my nature journal.  The simple act of walking without a destination or anything to accomplish felt freeing. I could stop and just notice the way the Black-Capped Chickadees calls sounded squeaky, or how every twig and raspberry cane was hung with rain drops.


Once again, nature cleared away stress, filled my soul with peace, and brought me into the present moment.  A slow walk in nature, just noticing the surrounding beauty, is one of my favorite forms of self-care.  

And, I find that making sketches of details I see helps me to connect with nature more deeply.  The act of drawing makes me slow down to observe closely.  And slowing down to look brings me into the present moment.  

I encourage you to add slow-walking & nature sketching to your repertoire of self-care techniques. If you try it, please leave me a comment to let me know how it worked for you.










No comments:

Post a Comment