Monday, January 18, 2021

Self-Care: Create a Personal Mandala

A new favorite art book of mine, The Zen of Creative Painting, has inspired me to be more experimental in my artwork.  According to author Jeanne Carbonetti, "All art mirrors its creator."

Jeanne steps you through three exercises --creating a mandala, a still life or landscape, and a figurative artwork -- and helps you to understand how your art expresses what's within you.  I find the process meditative, expressive and encouraging.  

By looking over my artwork with that mindset, I feel celebrated, and can see core parts of myself that I overlook yet should feel proud of.  Why not embrace what makes you unique?


Jeanne describes a mandala as an abstract artwork that can take any form.  I created my own mandala, drawing what came intuitively with a Micron pen and colored pencils.  

What does my mandala unveil to me? A large heart full of symbols of life (spirals), light (star), and love (hearts) represents my love of life and people & my desire to live with loving kindness towards others.  

The vibrant colors represent my strong will & expressiveness (blue), passion (pink & red) & creativity (orange). The predominance of yellow represents "shine time" to me -- the energy I receive from being with other people.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to be among people much due to voluntary quarantining, but seeing what a core part of me that is feels like a celebration of myself.

The light and dark moons represent my yin-yang love of spending time actively with people as a teacher followed by time in the quiet solitude of nature or my studio.  The whole composition is full of living creatures, the earth (multi-colored triangle), & water droplets (blue dots) representing my love of nature and earthiness.

I recommend Jeanne's book and the process of exploring & celebrating your unique self through her creative discovery activities!  Make your own mandala and discover your own inner beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment