Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Art for Self-Care: Art Journaling

 
I recently began following The Unexpected Gypsy on YouTube and Patreon.  Her willingness to share her art process and to speak authentically about her life & emotions has inspired me, taught me new techniques, and encouraged me to trust my own creative process. As a result, I have created an art journal.  I relish my time listening to music, sipping tea, and playing with colors in my journal.

For the longest time I resisted art journaling, thinking, "I have a nature journal, a gratitude journal, a writing journal, and lots of materials for art-making, why should I add one more journal?"

Here's why: I am free to create anything I want in my art journal.  I don't have to share any of it, and because it is dedicated specifically to uncovering my own true self -- my creativity, my ideas, my dreams, my struggles, and the images my soul needs to express -- new types of art pop out. 

Sometimes it's just quotes that speak to me and give me a starting place to play with designs & materials.  But often, I find that I start with colors and shapes, like this liquid watercolor painting on gesso.
And then other ideas rise up -- here I added white acrylic paint and white gel pen. Each added layer uncovers more within me. I'm learning to trust my intuition as I create.  
Playing is vital to creative development in any art, and this new art journal has become my playground.  

I recommend finding a blank journal or sketch book to turn into your own art journal and creative playground!




No comments:

Post a Comment