Monday, March 29, 2021

Chiaroscuro with Model Shannon

 

With the number of Covid-19 cases in our area decreasing, we have been able to invite a different model out to my studio for Osher class each week.  Last Friday, we were fortunate to have model Shannon, who held strong, active gestural poses for us to warm up with.
I invited my students to sketch with their non-dominant hand on some of their gesture drawings to loosen up their work and break out of old habits. Even though it felt strange, I was pleased with the results in my drawings.



After gestures, we moved on to a 15-minute, cropped pose that focused on Shannon's muscular back & torso.

We finished up class with an hour-long pose, broken into 25-minute segments.  

We used bold, chiaroscuro lighting and took the subtractive approach to drawing her, starting with  vine charcoal rubbed over the drawing paper to lay in a mid-tone, and then lifting out areas of highlight with a kneaded eraser.  I sketched in a gesture with vine charcoal, then used compressed charcoal to finish my drawing and make it permanent.

Many thanks to model Shannon!

No comments:

Post a Comment