Thursday, May 20, 2021

Coffee Shop Fridays: Ink Flow Paintings

In my coffee shop painting project, I have found a voice within myself that steers me towards a particular medium or color, that demands time to create, and that leads me down paths that make my heart happy.   

I actually feel a sensation similar to craving chocolate when this voice says to paint.  And when it's satisfied, there is no regret. I feel fulfilled, delighted, grateful for the time spent. 

Tuesday evening, after a Zoom modeling session, I felt drawn to the vivid colors of Dr. P.H. Martin's Liquid Watercolors. 

I cut a 9" x 11" piece of 140# watercolor paper into strips, then painted clean water over the areas I wanted to bloom color into, and touched droppers full of various colors to the page.  

How fascinating to watch the colors spread onto the wet page, mixing into other colors & evolving. 

I painted the entire page with clean water, then flowed in a single color.  Adding water to the intense blue ink, and sprinkling on table salt created a view into a starry universe:
What if a window of dry paper was left when the colors were dropped in? A rectangle of light within a slice of oceanic blue.
My voice kept guiding me back to Cerulean Blue, even when my brain said Saddle Brown. I am learning to listen to that voice.  When I do, I love what I create. 
I finished up by creating abstract landscapes.



No comments:

Post a Comment