Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Morning Light

An early morning trip to the state park lake provided beautiful light to paint from.

I've been reading copies of the magazine Watercolor Magic from the early 2000's. I find the articles instructive and inspiring.  They help me to improve my paintings and have a clearer focus when I sit down to paint.
For instance, an article by Mark E. Mehaffey in the Dec 2005 issue taught readers how to create more powerful focal points through using contrasts in value, color, size and soft versus hard edges.  

I tested his ideas out in this sketch, and really like the way the bright, backlit trees contrast against the shadows.  The tiny, dark branches caught my eye in real life, and including them catches my eye in the finished sketch.
I kept most of the edges in the forest soft, blending into each other, so the harder edges of the backlit trees down along the water's edge catch the viewer's eye. I also put details in the places that were most interesting to me.

The part of the scene that is most interesting to you, the part that catches your eye, is the focal point of the painting.  You are the artist, and it is your vision that we want to see.

I recommend taking the time to learn more about whatever art form you're interested in pursuing.  Whether you take a class, read a book, or even pick up an old magazine, the new knowledge and inspiration can light up your art practice.

If you'd like to take an art class with me, you can find my latest courses listed here:

Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment