Monday, May 29, 2023

Paddleboard Picnic

On a recent sunny day, David & I took our paddleboards & a picnic to our local state park lake.  We paddled around the lake and down to a boater's picnic area.

The day was lovely and sunny, perfect weather for floating, picnicking and sketching in my nature journal.
The way the sunshine shot through a patch of wildflowers just unfurling caught my eye, and I sketched with Inktense colored pencils, then added touches of Neocolor II crayons. Touching in a water brush pen brought the colors to life.
We returned a few days later and I painted the sunlight in the trees across the lake from the picnic table using my QM2 Winsor & Newton travel watercolor kit.
I love the colors in this kit! At 5" x 2.5" and about half of an inch thick, it's my tiniest watercolor palette. And it comes with a compact travel brush. 

A small art kit can hold an incredible array of colors.  For a look at the colors I mixed from the Winsor & Newton kit, see my blog post on color swatching.  

Color mixing may seem boring or technical, but it teaches you so much!  I found the experience relaxing with no pressure to make anything "pretty."  By simply experimenting, I discovered an abundance of bright, useful colors I could mix with this tiny set.  I find myself way more likely to put my watercolors to use now that I am familiar with what they can do.

I hope you play with your art supplies this week and discover what they can do.  Take them for a spin around the block, and experiment to discover the possibilities they hold for you.  You'll be surprised by how much more likely you'll be to use what you already have to make art!

No comments:

Post a Comment