Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Portrait of a Kitten


I recently taught a Pet Portraits in Colored Pencil course at 
the Community College of Beaver County.  
As a demonstration, I used the photograph below to create the drawing above.
A high quality photograph is the best reference to have, so references like this Life magazine will give you a great start.  Because photos like this are copyrighted, you can't sell your resulting artworks, but they are very helpful to use when you are practicing.

I started with a graphite sketch, then erased most of the graphite marks, and began adding in the colors swatched along the left side of the drawing.

I started with the eyes, as I find that they are the most important feature in a portrait.  If you get the eyes right, and give the idea of the other facial features, with loose lines for the fur, 
the viewer's eye fills in the rest.

If you'd like to practice drawing animals from high quality photos, 
check out my Pet Portraits in Colored Pencil page here: 

I hope you have fun drawing these beautiful animal friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment