Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Experimenting with Art

I have learned that the best way to make discoveries and improvements as an artist is to experiment without any expectation of the finished product. Go on a journey with your art supplies and try out new techniques and ideas.

Getting out my watercolors to play in my journal/planner, I experimented with creating artworks within the bounds of a two-inch diameter circle. Allowing yourself the license to just play with colors, forms and designs frees you up for new creative openings.


I also like to splash colors on my journal to create backgrounds for "Good Things" lists.

I picked up the "Good Things" habit from artist & designer Christine Castro Hughes, who says "I think everyone should keep an illustrated journal.  Just do it! The joys and beauty are usually found when you're not trying too hard, so let yourself loose.  Make a mess. Don't aim for perfect. Allow mistakes.  Have fun."



No comments:

Post a Comment