Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Importance of Playing with Squiggles



One of my aims in teaching art is to liberate people to create.  So many of us feel that we must make something of meaning or value, something pretty or even Perfect.  Of course, we all know that there is no such thing as perfect in any human endeavor, and saddling ourselves with these expectations before we even pick up a paintbrush or pen can turn our hands to lead.

I recommend giving yourself over to the experience of discovery as you draw or paint. Look at your subject and find the parts that fascinate you, then dive in and play with ways to represent those things. Removing any expectation of the finished result opens you up to create freely.

Another great way to play with your creativity is to focus merely on mark making.  I was inspired by Amy Maricle, of Mindful Art Studio, to take up a brush pen, loaded with India ink, and paint swoops, swirls, and squiggles on heavy paper I had cut to various sizes.



I set up outside on a picnic table and just let the painting happen.  By keeping my paper small, and having stacks of these little "canvases," I could create, explore designs and marks, then set the work aside and start fresh on a blank page.  I found myself drawn to thick and thin wavy lines, like the curve around a woman's hip.

As I created, I experienced the bliss of the present moment, the brush slipping over the paper, a Song Sparrow warbling nearby. The designs evolved, becoming trees, grasses, simple curves, then tadpoles swimming in a pond. Occasionally, I would dip back into familiar shapes and symbols, often used, and I noticed that these were not fulfilling to me.  I sought a fresh experience, and the explorative marks were the ones that felt exciting and refreshing.

I finished the experiment by cutting scrap pieces of white mat board to post card size, and making tadpole post cards.

Tadpole post card.

At the end of the experience, I laid out my favorite paintings on a board, and placed them where I would see the artworks as I walked by.  The joy of the creative experience lingered for days, and every time I passed by my little paintings, I felt a thrill.  I created that!

I hope you will try this technique, too.

At the end of my experiment, I added a Micron pen to my tool kit. Perhaps my next mark-making project will begin with bubbles & ovals!

No comments:

Post a Comment