Thursday, May 7, 2020

Forest Bathing with Mayapples

Out hiking yesterday towards sunset, the gray day cleared, and we stopped for a water break.  I took a moment to sit at the edge of a colony of Mayapples and sketch. The sun shone through the greening trees, the Wood Thrush warbled musically, and a sense of calm and gratitude washed over me. 

This is the beauty of forest bathing -- simply sitting out in nature for its healing benefits.  Like meditation, when I sit with my nature journal on the forest floor and open my senses, I am immersed in the present moment and the beauty of the place.  All thoughts of troubles and the outer world fall away, and I can be still and peaceful.

It's a wonderful form of self care.  Try simply sitting in a natural environment, focused only on what you see, smell, feel and hear. Turn off that phone!  Adding a sketchbook and a pen gives you a way to focus on one element at a time, and create a record of your experience to thumb through later and double your benefits.  


No comments:

Post a Comment