Thursday, November 12, 2020

The Benefit of Living with an Art Model Update

 


In a recent Zoom class, I worked the camera while David modeled. Professor Sue Powers demonstrated using different colors to represent values. Doing this keeps the brain from focusing on outer lines around the body, and builds the mass of the body from within, finishing with a few contour lines on top.  It's easier to see the real construction of the body when you focus on shadow shapes.  Here, I used hot pink as the base body tone, white for highlights, aqua for medium shadows and black for dark shadows.  

This technique helped me to construct a realistic and live-looking hand.  Sue recommended working quickly, and keeping your drawing implement in contact with the paper, even if you only make thready little lines.  Thanks, Sue!

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting effect! Thank you for sharing the inner pattern from vision, thought, to hand on paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Turkey,
      Thanks for checking in and for your comment! I love the way this colorist approach changes how I think about drawing. I find it
      really frees me up to see/draw what's really there.

      Delete
  2. I really want to try this in our next class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time David models for us, I plan on doing this in class!

    ReplyDelete