Saturday, November 28, 2020

The November Woods


I've been inspired by artist Cathy Johnson, who teaches me to simplify what I see in nature when I sketch.  She also suggests taking a minimalist art kit into nature. Rather than haul my whole box of 48 Prismacolor colored pencils along with my nature journal and Micron pens, I looked at the day and the land around me, and grabbed 5 pencils to tuck in my coat pocket.  Indigo, sepia, dark brown, burnt sienna, and Tuscan red were all I needed to add color to my Micron pen drawings.

When we got to the backpacking shelters at the midpoint of our hike, I pulled out my journal and captured a sense of the day.  It felt freeing to simplify my color pallet, and to draw the forest rather than every individual tree.  It's a drawing, not a photograph, I remind myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment