Sunday, April 23, 2023

A Friendly Goose

Last Friday dawned sunny & warm. David and I took our paddleboards out onto a nearby lake for a picnic and a cruise.   

After watching bright Tiger Swallowtails puddling on a sandbar, and witnessing an entire cliffside strewn with White Trilliums in bloom, we let the breeze push us down the lake towards the picnic area.

A friendly Canada Goose floated right up close to visit with me.

As we floated companionably side-by-side, I pulled out my nature journal & a few colored pencils and made quick sketches.

How incredibly fortunate I was to see a wild creature this close!  I felt frustrated at not being able to express every crisp feather and beak detail as the goose turned this way and that.

But what a gift to visit peacefully with this gorgeous goose!

Now, when I look at my drawings, I re those silent moments, when I had the privilege of looking into the eye of this wild bird.

Nature journals are a way to connect deeply with nature regardless of whether you draw a Canada Goose or an oak tree.  
I find the experience grounding, a form of meditation & reverence.  

Whether my sketch looks ham-fisted & rough, or bright & luminous, I always remember the experience that brought about the journal entry.  

And collecting memories makes a life rich.

I hope you get 15 minutes to sit with your journal outdoors and sketch what draws your attention this week. It's a lovely form of self-care.

No comments:

Post a Comment