Sunday, April 2, 2023

A Video Sketching Visit to England

I've recently discovered the YouTube channel of British artist, Melanie Chadwick, who shares her drawing on location sessions.  I was taken by the seaside scene in her recent "Winter Sketching Tips."  

I decided to still the video about 30 seconds in and use the image as a reference photo, so I could create from the same scene as Melanie.

I followed Melanie's technique, beginning with a watercolor sketch of the scene with my Winsor & Newton Watercolors.

Melanie then added color and texture with Caran D'Ache Neocolor II Aquarelle Crayons and Derwent Inktense Colored Pencils.  

Both of these media allow you to lay in dense color and then touch in a wet brush to create a watercolor effect.
I followed Melanie's method for the most part, using my Caran D'Ache Neocolor II watercolor crayons to layer in more intense color.  I added in some India ink details with a Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pen.

I used a Payne's Gray Inktense colored pencil to lay in the dark seaside stones in the hillside and other dark values.

This is the final version of my painting.  I enjoyed being an armchair traveler and trying Melanie Chadwick's technique for drawing on location.

What part of the world would you like to visit?  
Try starting with a video sketch vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment