Friday, April 28, 2023

Nature Journal Sketchwalk

Spring is dawning in my area, and it feels so good to tuck my nature journal under my arm, grab a small pack of colored pencils and hike.
  
We paused down at a beaver pond, and I sketched last summer's cattails.  

Why do cattail spikes look more appealing to me after the winter has battered them and released some of their fluff? 

I was testing out a 12-pack of Soho brand colored pencils for upcoming classes I will teach.
  
Having only 12 colors to choose from felt freeing.  Fewer supplies means fewer decisions to make, and the end sketch looked vibrant with the purple shadows against the sanguine cattail heads.

I find that having a material that I want to test out creates less stress than expecting to make "beautiful art." I can focus on what the material can do, and let the drawing take care of itself.

Happy Spring and Happy Nature Journaling to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment