Sunday, June 4, 2023

Summer Fountain

Summer greens, sparkling water trickling in a fountain, and sunlit fern fronds caught my artist's eye, and I grabbed my nature journal. 

A quick pencil sketch let me lay out the fountain and main elements. 
Washes with my Winsor & Newton travel watercolor kit established the scene.  
I let the first washes dry, and added details in the fountain, ferns and shadows.  
Finishing details were added with a Winsor & Newton 0.8 fineliner.

The only way to build & maintain skills as an artist is to create routinely -- every day, if possible.
It doesn't matter what you paint, or draw, as long as you play with your supplies frequently.
Try asking yourself questions like, "What parts of this scene do I like the best?  What are the important parts for me to express?"
These questions will help you define your approach.

I don't love every watercolor sketch I make, but I learn each time I pick up my brushes. 
The more I create, the less pressure I feel to make each artwork "pretty."

I'm still learning to simplify my scene and to make brush strokes that feel natural and good to me. 
This sketch was a way to practice those things.

Here's a photo of the scene I worked from.  If it appeals to your artist's eye, I hope you'll make a painting or sketch from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment