Monday, April 15, 2024

Gouache Apple Blossoms Painting

On a rainy, cold Friday afternoon, I cut several twigs from an apple tree blooming in my yard for my Tiny Art class students to paint.
Before class, I made a small painting, starting with a pencil sketch of one of the flower clusters.
The next step was to lay in areas of color and tone -- larger areas of white flower petals, and green leaves.

When painting with gouache, you start with larger shapes and work from general to specific, from larger shapes to finer details.


I layered on details -- shadows and highlights, veins in leaves, and the little stamens within the apple flowers.
I finished with details on the twig -- the bark wrinkles, the green lichen spots.

Above is the finished painting.

Are you feeling creative? I hope you'll make a sketch or painting of the apple blossoms pictured at the top of this post.

Happy Creating!





Copyright Betsy Bangley 2024.  All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment