Thursday, April 11, 2024

Nature Journaling the Solar Eclipse

On April 8th, 2024, I traveled to Medina, Ohio to watch the total eclipse of the sun.  Of course, I brought along my nature journal and art supplies, and recorded what I observed.

I had seen three partial solar eclipses, but never a total eclipse.

 We set up early to watch and photograph the event.

We had a camera on a tripod, with a cell phone app to trigger the shutter.

Using eclipse viewing glasses, I was able to see every step of the process, and when totality occurred, it was magical.
Here's a photo of the total eclipse.  We took off our eclipse glasses and viewed it with our eyes.

You can see solar flares as the colorful bits around the edges.  Absolutely stunning!

Whether you are recording an eclipse or the dawning of spring, making drawings in your nature journal help you to fully experience natural events.  
The simplest sketch strengthens your memory of the event, and now you have a record of what you saw, what you noticed, and how you felt.

I hope you take the time to create in a nature journal this week!








Copyright Betsy Bangley 2024. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment