Friday, October 11, 2024

Make "Bad" Art!

I recently watched this inspiring YouTube video by Marie-Noëlle Wurm on making "Ugly Art:"  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kngc8LXYdkc

She invites us to intentionally make art we expect to be ugly, and in doing so, releasing ourselves from the expectation that we'll make something pretty, acceptable, worthy, or popular. 

I tried it & had fun!  When I meant to make my bird drawings ugly, I stopped judging every line and nuance as I made it.  The first one (top) I feel is truly ugly.  I don't really like it, but it opened the way for me to experiment & quickly draw these other 3 birds.

Each one has its own personality. This one seems like a mashup of Foghorn Leghorn and a magpie.

This one feels childlike and hopeful sailing through the sky like a character from a Roald Dahl story.
The last one seems like a Robin/Bluebird combination ... with a worm.
After I made these, aside from laughing a bit, I realized that each had qualities I liked.

I recommend watching Marie-Noëlle Wurm's video and trying it yourself.  It's a playful way to start an art session.  It could be a warm-up for more drawing or just an art break for self care & laughter.

After you make your drawings, step back and notice little things you like about your creations. Because you created freely without expectation, you might make discoveries.

I hope you try your hand at making "bad" art.

Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment