Friday, August 11, 2023

Book Report: John Lidzey's Watercolour Painting Workshop

A gem from 1995, John Lidzey's Watercolour Workshop has been a great discovery for my watercolor education.

Lidzey walks the reader through basic watercolor instruction and step-by-step projects,

so you learn as you go.

The book is chock-full of inspiration in the form of luscious paintings of simple, everyday scenes.
Lidzey treats everyday places and vignettes with reverence. His romantic paintings make me rethink my habit of painting only nature and landscapes. 
If you're curious about what's included in the workshop, here's the list of contents:
John Lidzey in his home studio.
Though it's been out of print for some time, I found this book online on a used book site for less than $15.  That's an inexpensive workshop! You might look for it in your local library.
I find that books like this one let me dive more deeply into watercolor studies than a quick video would. And there's something peaceful about flipping through pages rather than gazing at a screen. I can take it at my own pace.

I hope you'll find a new-to-you art book to inspire you and help you grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment