Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Travel Journaling in England!

 

We made it to England! 

Our first day after recovering from jet lag, we visited museums in London. I toured the cathedral-like Natural History Museum.
It was a rainy Tuesday, and the weather filled the museum with visitors.  Still, I found little nooks to ferret myself away into and make pencil sketches.
I had initially thought to make watercolor sketches, but the masses of people made that impractical.  I decided to keep it simple,
and make pencil sketches on the spot. I took a few reference photos with my phone,
and added ink and watercolor washes back at the hotel.
After the crush & noise of people in the museum, the quiet, meditative practice of inking and adding color felt soothing, a lovely way to review the day and gather in peace.

If you'd like to travel along with me and sketch, here are a few photos of the things that caught my eye:

A terra cotta detail in Hintze Hall.
A display showing the architecture of Hintze Hall and the inspiration for the terra cotta decorations.
A magnificent Barn Owl!

Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment