Sunday, December 24, 2023

Humble Beginnings

Winter is the season of decluttering around here, and as I was culling through papers, I found a tiny book -- my first nature journal, dated 1981, when I was in high school.

I can see how tentatively I painted each scene, afraid to dip into the paint too heavily, to make my marks too bold.


I can appreciate how sensitive that earlier version of me was to the beauty around her young eyes and spirit.

I carefully labeled each painting on the reverse with the name of the place, plant or animal.
At the time, I was a counselor at a summer camp called Nature Camp in Vesuvius, Virginia.  My days were filled with teaching children how to draw and paint from nature, leading nature hikes, and working with other nature nerd counselors.  It was a summer of discovery and adventure for me.
I lived with the other counselors, and campers, immersed in nature, focused on studying the plants, animals and ecosystem around us.

I can see how very much I wanted to capture the plants and animals around me with accuracy and a sense of beauty. 

That summer led to a lifelong pursuit of nature journaling.  
Beginnings can often look humble, simple, even clumsy.  Yet they get us started learning and exploring.
 And though I feel I am always falling short of my goal, I delight in pursuing it regardless.
Begin. Pursue. Develop.

What new art projects would you like to begin? I hope you jump right in and start your explorations!




Copyright Betsy Bangley 2023.  All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment