Saturday, December 16, 2023

Update: Walnut Ink

I've been having a play with my new, homemade Black Walnut ink.  

It flows smoothly, dries a rich, dark brown, and works surprisingly well for writing and drawing.  I just have to give it a little more time to dry than my other fountain pen inks to prevent smudging.  

When I write with it in my journal, I put a blotter page -- an absorbent piece of paper like newsprint -- between pages when I turn to a fresh page.

Above is a sample from my nature journal this morning.  I took 5 minutes while drinking my morning tea to watch the birds outside at the feeder, and it made me feel happy.

I love the fact that my ink came from nearby nature, that the squirrels helped me to make it, and that I have an abundance to share with friends and family.  Turns out, the more I'm involved with the creation of my supplies, the closer I feel to them and the more satisfying they are to use.

What's your favorite art supply right now?

I hope you can take a little time for yourself to play with your art supplies purely for your own joy this weekend.  It's a lovely form of self care.



Copyright Betsy Bangley 2023. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment