Monday, December 18, 2023

Walnut Ink Update


I've been testing out my homemade Walnut Ink to discover its properties.  

I'm finding that I can use it like watercolor paint, watering it down to lighten it, or adding layers to darken it.  If I want to lighten a spot, I can even scrub out dried ink spots with a clean, damp brush.  

I added white colored pencil marks to show the window light reflecting on these salad tomatoes.

This combination of supplies reminds me of Rembrandt van Rijn's ink and white chalk drawings.
Above: Rembrandt's Three Studies of a Child and One of a Woman from the Harvard Art Museums

Rembrandt's fluid lines and masterful portraiture show the possibilities of such simple materials as ink & chalk on brown paper.  Inspiring!

Testing out an art supply just to become familiar with it is a great way to trick your brain into not judging any artworks you create.  Because you are merely exploring and experimenting, you are freed from expectations.

What material would you like to test out and explore today?

Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment