Monday, September 9, 2024

A Watercolor Sketch of Alaska

I have this image as my screen saver, and every time I look at it, I get the peaceful feeling of awakening on board the Queen Elizabeth, sailing through the crisp Alaskan wilderness to Icy Strait Point.  

I instantly feel relaxed & invigorated.

As I awoke on a recent morning, the image of a green swoosh in a blue field came to mind.  I had programmed this image into my creative thinking, and now was the time to paint it.

 I opened my laptop. I pulled out my paints and a sample of New York Central Supply 100% cotton watercolor paper (140#).  I didn't tape it down or make a pencil sketch.  My goal was just to play & sketch. 

I mixed colors: 
      • phthalo blue and new gamboge yellow for the hillside; 
      • phthalo blue, burnt umber and a touch of alizarin crimson for the shadows; and 
      • pure phthalo blue for the sky peeking through the clouds.
It felt good to explore the Alaskan coast again.

Your vacation photos, or other favorite pics can provide a treasure trove of material to paint or draw from.  

What memories would you like to revisit? 
As you return to your favorite place or time to create, remind yourself that you are not a camera, and you don't have to make your drawing or painting "perfect." 
As an artist, you will create your version of the photo.  That's the goal!

I hope you find inspiration to create today.
Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment